Machchi Memoni | Memoni Barbecued Fish
- 500 gms any round fish like seer
- ½ lime
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup yogurt
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 whole dried red chillies
- 1 tsp red Kashmiri chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts, coarsely crushed
- 1”cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom pods
1 lime, cut in 4 wedges
- Clean the fish and cut it into 1 ½ “square fillets. Wash well and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Smear the fish with lime juice and salt and set aside for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Grind the spice paste ingredients fine, adding a little water if required. Mix yogurt into the spice paste and marinate the fish in this for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Bring the fish to room temperature before cooking it.
- Barbecue it on a barbecue pit or sigdi for 3 minutes on each side. Brush it with oil when almost done.
- Lay it flat on a serving dish.
- Garnish with lime wedges and serve immediately.
Source: Hajra’s Recipes of Life, for Life Delectable Muslim Cooking by Hajra Mohammed, Westland Ltd.
Meen Porichathu | Fried Fish
- Fish (any fish) 200 gm.
- Chilli powder 2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp.
- Aniseed 1 tsp.
- Garlic 4 cloves
- Cinnamon 4 cm. piece
- Cloves 2
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Clean, cut and wash the fish.
- Grind all the ingredients together to a paste.
- Apply to the fish and put it aside for some time.
- Shallow fry in oil and remove.
Source: Malabar Muslim Cookery by Ummi Abdulla, Orient Black Swan